Menu

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, December 29, 2011

2011 -Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out!

I am borrowing this great year end recap idea from the lovely All & Sundry. She's a wonderful writer and she cracks my ass up - she has a great sense of humor about raising kids and life in general. I really enjoy reading her blog - check her out! And thanks for the idea! :)
2011 has been good and bad, but aren't they all? I definitely feel like I am ready to embrace 2012 and all it's glory. Of course, I can only remember parts of 2011 when I sit down to write this but that's okay hopefully you get the idea anyhow.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
I lost 27 lbs. and frankly I've never done that before because I've never needed to do that before. I guess you could say that 2010 was the year of the fat ass for me. After THE Accident I had in October 2010, I got real chubby and depressed. Luckily, my gym opened up down the street in March 2011 and has been a real live saver for me. It's true what they say about working out - good stress relief, addicting once you see results and improves confidence. I never want to have to lose that much weight again - unless it's from a baby!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I'm not real big on new year's resolutions. I usually try to stick with the more general ones: be healthier (which I managed to accomplish in 2011) and all that bullshit. I am an extremely organized so I work much better towards a very strategic goal. For 2012, I've actually given this resolution business some thought and I've come up with my top 10 goals for the year - all measurable and attainable. I'm actually kind of excited about it!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Not exactly. I feel like I've known lots of pregnant women, just not any that I've been extremely close to.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thankfully, no. The closest person to me that died was my brother's good friend's mom died from brain cancer. I was very close to her when I was younger, but not as much as I got older. Her son and my brother have literally been friends since birth. They used to live across the street from us growing up. Bless her soul!
5. What countries did you visit?
None - In fact, the only place I visited in 2011 was North Carolina to snowboard and Atlanta for Supercross. What a boring travel year! We will have to change that for 2012!
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
A big sparkly engagement ring :) I think it's coming!
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
July 4th - Skye started the police academy - we embarked on an exciting new journey in our lives
December 15th - Skye's graduation from the police academy - such a proud moment for me!
Those are the most prominent right now. This year definitely brought a change for his career, which also impacts me in a big way - especially given his chosen path.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Growing Up. I feel that I've grown so much as a person this year. My emotions have been tested at times with given situations, but I'm proud to come out on top. Forgiveness does not come easy for me and I think I'm finally at a good place with the challenges that 2010 brought me. I feel settled.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Handling family drama - with both my parents. My dad's relationship with his (new) wife really rocked my world in 2010-2011. It is still an on going battle, but I've adjusted my attitude so that 2012 will bring better moments. My mom struggled again - as she seems to every year - with some sort of addiction problem. She's healthy right now which is important, but I fail her as a daughter sometimes due to my lack of patience and support.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
None other than the common cold. No broken bones, traumas or major illnesses. (I feel like I've jinxed myself now).
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My iPhone4s - LOVE IT it's pretty new though so I still have yet to explore all it's wonders. Our gym memberships were life changing for us, skinny jeans - I was resisting that trend while I was massively chubby for good reason, a new Coach watch which I adore, oh yeah and we got a new car in 2011! I wasn't sure about it at first, but we are definitely hooked on our new Suburban. I love driving it, when I'm allowed to.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Probably still to food - I find much of my life is centered around food and drink dates. Mortgage obviously and new clothes for hot new bodies! My dog - Tilly got attacked by our neighbor's dog in August and was in the hospital for a week. My vet bill was $2000!!!! Yikes!
13. What did you get really excited about?
Skye's new job and car. Apparently my life revolved around him this year.
14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Adele - she's just blown up this year.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:

– happier or sadder? Happier
– thinner or fatter? Thinner
– richer or poorer? Richer - cheers to new jobs and raises!
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Spent more time with friends and family and more time at the lake
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Being bitchy for no reason. I got in a couple of funks this year that were hard to kick and it's not fun to look back on that.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
This was my favorite Christmas in a while - I guess I always say that, but each time it feels true. My dad was home recovering from his heart surgery, my mom was acting normal, Skye was off work and we enjoyed the time with both of our families. It felt very blessed.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Weeds was one, and now I'm behind on it. Dexter also, but I'm behind on him too. Mostly, I kept up consistently with all my Real Housewives. I even got to meet Gretchen Rossi from the Real Housewives of Orange County - pretty exciting stuff. My guilty pleasure is any realtiy show - Sister Wives, Teen Mom 1&2, American Pickers, the list goes on.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Killer by Seth Grahame Smith - LOVED it, Jodi Picoult - Keeping the Faith, Tenth Circle, Perfect Match, The Help, The Girl who Played with Fire by Steig Larsson (now reading The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest)....my mind is blanking on me but I know I read other fabulous ones.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?

Jason Aldean - I think I rediscovered my country side this year.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, Breaking Dawn Part 1, Hangover 2, The Help...again blanking...but I know I didn't see as many movies this year as usual
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was actually at a wedding the night before my birthday - went out after the wedding and celebrated with friends at and beyond midnight. Had a smashing hangover the next day - then went to dinner with our close group at a Japanese steakhouse. I turned 27 this year.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Blogging - even though I'm still new to it and I have a lot to learn. It's been a great release for me. I've loved starting to develop this little place of my own in the Internet world and I hope I continue to grow it.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
LAZY - most of my clothes are ill fitting - for example the pants I'm wearing today are 3 sizes too big and they look hideous. My bank account couldn't afford to keep up with mine and Skye's rapid weight losses so we are still sporting clothes that make us look bigger than we are. On the top 10 list for 2012, wear heels more, accessorize more and buy clothes that fucking fit!
26. What kept you sane?
Skye - he's my rock and his support is invaluable to me. I feel forever in debt to him.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.

Forgive AND forget - and move on. Don't take everything out on the ones closest to you. Girls need good girlfriends - not quantity but quality. Cherish everything you are blessed with. Live, Laugh and Love - I really try to do that. If you look like food, you will be eaten - military mantra.



Stay tuned for my Top 10 Goals for 2012 --

And if you decide to put one of these year in review posts together, link it up in my comments so I can check it out. I'd love to hear what all happened with you!

4 comments:

willtherebecake said...

You lost 27lbs?! Impressive! Hopefully I can do the same after baby is born.

Cami said...

Yeah, way to go with 27 lbs! That's impressive!! What hard work that takes. Great job :)

iPhone4s - ah, I want it. I just have the 4.

I like your new font - easier to read :)

Love you girl!

<3-Cami from First Day of My Life

The Pink Growl said...

Thanks ladies! I was more amazed with the fact that I was able to GAIN 27 lbs just from being sedentary. I guess I hid it really well because people are always amazed when I tell them. I just did the good old fashioned way with watching my diet and lots of exercise! Liz, you will be able to do the same.
Cami - Thanks about the font, I thought the last one was pretty but a little hard to read too.

oldernawtwiser said...

I echo the congrats on the weight loss!! We have similar personal fashion concepts for the year. :) It's been fun reading all of these from people- it seems like overall 2011 was fairly good to a lot of people.