Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Speak Life

I am such a words person. If you offer me words of affirmation, you are definitely speaking my love language. I'm an overuser of "I love you". I want people to overuse it with me. Plenty of times I've had a bad day and someone will speak words of encouragement to me and instantly I am lifted. In the same way that words can easily fracture our self esteem and hurt our hearts, they can also heal and uplift.

Source
The first couple of times I heard the Speak Life song by Toby Mac, I thought it was a little cheesy. Catchy, but cheesy. But right now, the words seem appropriate. Not only because of Robin Williams. But he is a part of my thought process too. Depression is real. It's serious. I've talked before about my mama's own struggle with addiction after addiction and the pits filled with depression in between. My worst fear has been getting a call that she's committed suicide. I have an ex-boyfriend who did commit suicide. I have friends who have told me they wanted to commit suicide. A man from my church committed suicide just a few short weeks ago.
 
Everyday people feel worthless. They feel unloved and alone. They don't know how they can survive the darkness they feel.  They become consumed with negative thoughts. It becomes too hard/to scary/too overwhelming to ask for help. And honestly, some days we are too wrapped up in ourselves to put ourselves in everyone else's shoes. But speaking life is a powerful thing. I'm certainly not a counselor, and I've never personally struggled with  a lot of these feelings, but I feel like it has to be said. I need the reminder myself to stop thinking so inwardly.
 

I think about a time when I felt lifeless. The people who used their words to comfort me became the people who helped heal me. And I thank God so much for sending me those people. I will never forget their words, their effort and how much it meant to me. It might not be enough to snap someone out of their sadness, but it matters. Loving people like Jesus does is not an easy task. I constantly have to remind myself that it's not my place to judge people's struggles, behaviors or stories. It's just my job to love them and be kind to them - no matter what. My good words have the ability to influence someone's heart, and that matters in this world.
 
Photobucket

20 comments:

P!nky said...

Great, great, post nikki! it's so easy to change someone's day with a kind word. I often compliment people, randomly and their smile back makes me happy. I've had someone tell me I look nice, on a day that was going horribly and it completely changed my mood.

Words are so powerful and we should use them for good!

Elise @ Her Heart and Home said...

Amen, sista! xx

Amanda aka Manda said...

This brought me to tears. So true! Thank you for always being a person to speak life into my life.

Cassie said...

this is an awesome, awesome post. you are an awesome person. i don't think you realize the positive impact you have on people just by sharing your story. you are one AWESOME person nikki!! xo

Fran @ Sassy Southern Bride said...

I loved this.

Em @ gymandtonic-em.com said...

The power of saying a few positive words and receiving a few back is really amazing. :) Love this post. It's so true! Not tweeting, liking, or commenting via social media...but that one-on-one interaction with a person to lift their spirits each day can do more than make their day, it could make their life.

Law_Fal said...

Powerful post. Thank you for sharing!

Tracy said...

So so true - love you girl!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post. I struggle with depression and I know words can help way more than one would think.

Call it Adventure said...

This post. I am having the worst time dealing with Robin Williams' death being most likely a suicide. I have seen suicide and depression hit too many people I love, and it just tears your heart into little pieces.

Definitely show love in any way you can. Say it, shout it, whisper it, write it, draw it, show it, let it be a constant so even when they don't know it, they know it. That's how you become a light when you don't even know they are in shrouded in darkness.

Thanks for this post, I needed it today.

Helene in Between said...

This is so beautiful and true!! needed to hear today :)

Jen @ South in the City said...

You are such an inspiration and touch many peoples lives, including my own! Thank you for posting this today! A family member of mine is really struggling with something similar. Please keep him in your prayers.

Amanda - Voyage of the MeeMee said...

Words honestly amaze me when I stop and really think about them. They have so much power!
Depression is such a terrible disease... it can affect ANYONE. So sad. :/

Anonymous said...

Amen!
you are such an amazing person with amazing words!

Cori @ Everyday Enchanted said...

Words of affirmation is my love language. I've learned to overuse "I love you", I don't just assume that someone knows. You never know when it's going to be the last time you say it to them. I never want my people to go a day without knowing that I love them. Speak life... I love it!

Ashley said...

I love this post! I love that song too and I think you're right! I wish we could all learn to speak life and encouragement.

Unknown said...

Loved this! Such an encouragement of how to encourage others!

Jamie said...

Yes, yes, yes.

Joey Hodges said...

YES, MA'AM!! If we all just paid a little more attention to our words, I think the world would be a happier place. It's not the cure all, but it sure would help. (I'm such a words person too, love!)

The Girl who Loved to Write said...

Love love love! Our words are so important!