Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Pinterest Recipe - Banana Pudding Poke Cake

Last year I discovered I really loved to cook. I was cooking dinner every night and trying new recipes all the time. Around that same time I also fell completely in love with Pinterest and those two new loves just went hand in hand together. But now cooking for one person just seems like overkill, so I don't put up much effort anymore. A couple weeks ago when I my friends and I had girls craft night, the girl hosting made this cake and it was delish! I'm not a big banana pudding fan at all, but I'm always down to try things so I tasted it and loved it. I thought I would try my hand at making it for Easter lunch with my family. It's super easy and turned out yummy! Enjoy!


Source: The Country Cook, http://www.thecountrycook.net/2012/06/banana-pudding-poke-cake.html


Ingredients:1 (10 oz.) box yellow cake mix
ingredients needed to make cake (eggs, oil & water)
2 (3.4 oz.) packages instant banana pudding
4 cups milk
1 (8 oz.) tub frozen whipped topping, thawed
20 vanilla wafers, crushed
 
Directions:
Prepare cake mix according to package directions for a 9x13 cake.
Once cake comes out of the oven, allow it to cool for just a couple of minutes.
Then, with a wooden spoon handle or some other similarly-sized object, begin poking
holes in the cake.
You want the holes to be fairly big so that the pudding has plenty of room to get down in there. Be sure to poke right down to the bottom of the cake.

In a bowl,whisk together instant pudding with 4 cups milk.
Stir until all the lumps are gone.
Let pudding sit for just about 2 minutes so it has just slightly begun to thicken but not fully set, it should still be easily pourable.
Pour pudding over cake. Taking care to get it into the holes as much as possible.
Spread it all out and using the back of the spoon gently push pudding down into the holes.
Put the pudding into the fridge to set and cool.

Once your cake has completely cooled, spread on whipped topping.
If you haven't done so already, crush your vanilla wafers.
I just place mine in a ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
Leave some of the pieces big. It's nice to have a bit of a crunch when you eat the cake.
Spread crushed wafers onto the top of the cake.
You can do this part immediately before serving the cake if you like.
This will ensure the wafers are crunchy when you serve it.
Serve with freshly sliced bananas. Keep refrigerated.

Here's what mine ended up looking like, a little messy but very tasty!

Photobucket

27 comments:

TheTinyHeart said...

That looks SO yummy! And seems really easy to make too!

-Sharon
The Tiny Heart

Pamela said...

Ohhhhhhh, yummy in my tummy!! Great minds think alike, I shared a recipe today too!

Anonymous said...

I've made that too!! sooo good!

Nikki said...

this looks tasty!

erica said...

Wow!!! This looks beyond amazing! I might have to make this for my grandma's birthday. xx

Helene said...

my recipes never turn out pretty but they always turn out tasty, so that's a win!!

Kelly said...

Mmmm that sounds yummy! I love desserts with banana :)

Kalie said...

Yummy! Except this week it is you pinning the sweet treats! LOL Also, I hate cooking for one too, it is seriously the worst, and not motivating. I prefer to cook for like 4 or more! Haha

Jess Casey said...

YUM! I make the boston cream poke cake this weekend too!

CALLIE said...

Banana Pudding is my fav!! (even though I'm not a big banana fan... weird.. I know) And this looks divine. Must try!

Faith said...

omg, this looks SO good!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE bananas and need to make this asap! It looks/sounds SOOO good!

Alyssa said...

I have this pinned!!! Happy to see it was a success :) I will most certainly be trying this soon!

Wine and Summer said...

That looks so delicious! I will definitely be giving it a try soon!

Amanda aka Manda said...

Ok. Seriously....thank goodness I can't eat it (bc of the whole gf thing) bc I'd eat it ALL by myself!

callie ;) said...

i know what you mean about cooking for one - it is harder to do and way more effort than it's worth, haha.

have you seen the oreo poke cake recipe floating around on pinterest? i have a weakness for anything cookies and cream, so i think i need to make it!!

Young and Fabulous said...

omg i want to eat this thru the screen!!!!!!!

i have tried banana pudding once and was iffy about it...second time i was HOOKED! i smell a 3rd time......

xoxox

Kathryn said...

I pinned this a while ago and want to try it. Was it like banana pudding at all, or just with the taste?

Sarah said...

GAH I have been wanting to try this! I think 'poke cakes' are such a good idea!! There is so many ways you can do it too!

YUM!

elle rae-marie said...

will you mail some to MN? please!!!!

Venus Trapped In Mars said...

OH MY GOSSSHHHH!!!! Yummmm, if only I cooked....

Chelsea said...

Yep, it's official. I have to make this :)

Girls Love Fried Pickles said...

Can you just make this and deliver it to me .. Mmmmkay thanks.

Heather said...

That sounds amazing - I need to try this!!!!

XO
Pearls & Paws

Janna Renee said...

Haha that looks yummy, but very counterproductive when it comes to the 30 in 30 challenge ;) Plus I would eat the whole thing in two days!

Unknown said...

Have you thought about adding cream cheese with the pudding before you put it on the cake??? Have you thought about using a different flavor of putting such as chocolate???

Unknown said...

Have you thought about adding cream cheese with the pudding before you put it on the cake??? Have you thought about using a different flavor of putting such as chocolate???