Pages

Monday, July 28, 2014

Blessings From Abroad

Howdy from the Dominican Republic! (I actually wrote this post last week before I left, but since I'm currently in DR, it works.) Thank you SO much to everyone who donated to my funds for going on this mission trip, for everyone who has sent up even a single prayer for us and for all your sweet emails/texts to wish us well! I don't even have the right words to tell you how excited I am to see how God really turns this into a life changing experience - for everyone involved!!
 
Earlier this week, I got to thinking about how things happen at JUST the right times in our lives. This is hard to see sometimes, especially in the midst of a tough season. But just in my own experience there are so many examples of how God was truly the one in control - even before I realized the power in that. One huge example, is for me to think about what would have happened if Skye and I hadn't called off our wedding? I don't think I would have ended up at OneLife Church, my heart probably wouldn't be so on fire for serving Jesus and I definitely wouldn't be sitting in the Dominican Republic on a mission trip right now. I couldn't see then that the past almost 2 years would take my life down this unexpected trajectory. But I felt deep down in my heart that God had something better. My story was meant to be so much more than just a broken engagement. I couldn't believe it everyday at the time, but on the really low days I always knew. Trusting in that can be so hard, but I'm living proof that it can be rewarding beyond your wildest dreams. Some people call it fate, karma or luck - but I don't believe in any of that. I chose to believe that God saw me through that season of change, and He continually promised me that better days were to come. Better days are here! It's pretty awesome to recognize God at work in all the big moments - but even more in the everyday little decisions in our lives.

 
Who knows maybe I have a future in mission work? I will definitely have the bug after this trip, I'm sure of it. I already have it and we aren't even home yet.
  
If my prayer warriors would continue to pray for us on this trip, I would really love that!
1. Pray for our hearts - that we will be open to letting God lead us into conversations and using us however He can. Pray that we truly believe & seek to make our one life make a difference.
2. Pray for a safe trip down & back home
3. Pray that He will use this experience to bring us closer to Him and ultimately we'll be able to tell stories of change - either in our lives or how we had influence over others.
4. Pray for this community we will be serving - we will be building a greenhouse for them to make their community more self-sustainable, and we will be helping them do a VBS program for all their young people (I can't wait to hug on some sweet babies!!!!).
5. And a selfish one, please pray about the weather. I am so worried that the heat indexes and high humidity with no air conditioning will distract my focus.
 
One of my favorite walls at my church - this idea is what our whole church is built upon.
Your support means the world to me, and it really keeps me going sometimes. THANK YOU! I can't wait to share stories of life change with you when I get home.
Photobucket

8 comments:

Amanda aka Manda said...

Trusting in Him can be so hard at times, but you constantly remind me of the amazing things that can happen when we do! Praying BIG for you and your team! Can't wait to see what he does!

Cori @ Everyday Enchanted said...

Praying for you! I can't wait to hear all about your trip when you get back. God's timing is always perfect. If there is anything that I have learned this year, it's that.

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

Sending you lots of prayers. Good luck on your trip.

Amanda - Voyage of the MeeMee said...

Good luck to you, girl! I'll be thinking about you and sending positive vibes across the miles! :)

Cassie said...

thinking and praying for you. have a blast!! xoxo

The Girl who Loved to Write said...

I hope you're having the best time ever!

Janna Renee said...

Aww! Hope you are having the time of your life!! Prayers for all of the above :)

My-cliffnotes said...

Aww I hope you're having the best time!!!