Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Reality TV

I can remember being in early high school watching the Real World on MTV. You know the one with the "7 strangers, picked to live in a house, and have their lives taped"? I absolutely loved that show! The kids on there were probably 20-23 and at the time I was around 14, and I just loved watching them go out, drink, fight, hook up, etc. Not sure why it seemed to entertain me so much because I was definitely NOT doing those things at that point in my life. I was 14! My parents still monitored what I watched on TV, and somehow that managed to slip through the cracks. I didn't have boobs, let alone enough boobs to show off, like the girls on the shows. I had barely kissed a boy, let alone hook up, like the girls on the show.
Jump to a year or two later, Laguna Beach premieres on MTV. Again, obsessed. I loved seeing kids my age this time, and I guess just seeing how different their lives were than mine. Me = very middle class girl from TN, good grades, borderline goody-goody at age 16. LC & Kristin (from the show for those of you who are not part of the LC generation) = rich spoiled girls whose parents let them drink at their house parties and have serious older boyfriends.

Fast forward to now, at least 10 years later and I am officially obsessed with Reality TV. WHY????? That's the million dollar question...why. My gran gran always makes fun of me for one certain show, my ultimate fav the Bravo Real Housewives franchise, for which I am down right freakishly obsessed with. Again, nothing I can relate to what-so-ever on this show - I am NOT rich, I am NOT a house wife, I have NOT had plastic surgery and (unfortunately) I do NOT have a sugar daddy. I just love watching people live their lives on TV. Some people claim these shows are scripted, I disagree. I believe the shows are "based" on true events that happen in real life. I say "based  on true events" because I'm sure for the element of drama they do instigate with cast members, and encourage them to talk behind each other's backs, etc. But honestly, you can't make this shit up. The Real Housewives is good shit, and I love 'em all! Orange County, New York, New Jersey, Atlanta, DC, Beverly Hills, hell I even watched Miami - BRING IT! I am rarely embarrassed to admit my obsession because really, I can't help it! I DVR them all.

Real Housewives is not the only reality TV show I watch though. Basically every show out there now is reality TV based so it's quite easy to feed my fix. I am also a fan of the following guilty pleasures: Teen Mom (MTV), Most Eligible Dallas (Bravo), American Pickers (History), Wife Swap (ABC), Undercover Boss (CBS)...you see the trend. If that damn Bravo network hadn't come along, I just don't know what I would do with all my free time!

No comments: