Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Education Schmeducation

I am of the mindset that a college degree - the degree itself - is overrated. I have my Bachelors of Science in Marketing, and it was adequately over priced. Still paying for that precious little gem! I love the college experience - moving away into the dorm, the new friends, the parties- basically the social aspect. I fully see all those benefits in the lives of college aged students. And don't get me wrong, I fully believe in going to college. My point is that nowadays, a bachelors degree is basically a must have, similar to a high school diploma. Unless you work in a highly specialized field, like nuclear engineering, it doesn't matter what field of study you choose. Employers just want you to prove that you were dedicated enough to give it the old college try and make it through another 4 years of school. It just seems that to jump through all those hoops just to have a piece of a paper is a little silly.

I work at a public utility company in the marketing and business development field. Some of my colleagues who work in our customer service department have the following types of degrees: economics, social work, and elementary education. Yet here they are working at a utility company instead of working in their field of study. I actually started my college career as a political science major. Which leads me to another benefit I see with the whole college experience, taking classes to help you understand what you actually want to do with your life. I graduated high school at the age of 17 - didn't turn 18 until a month into my first semester in college. I was not one of those special people who grew up "just knowing" what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. I've always had an interest in law - hence the political science major was born. Long story short, I ended up in the advertising field with a marketing major. It has worked out well for me so I can't complain too much.

I know I just said I think a college degree is overrated, but I meant that in the sense that you are just required to have one now. I might be contradicting myself here but I'm actually one of those weirdos who loves going to school - which is the entire reason I am writing this post. I am seriously contemplating going back to school to get my masters degree. I have even toyed with the idea of going to law school to get my J.D. Wouldn't that be just totally bat shit crazy of me at 27?? I would be the oldest person in the class! I can't help but think I would just love to finally fulfill that dream though. I've done all the research and figured out step-by-step everything that I would need to do to get started, but I just can't seem to make the first move. Am I scared? Hell, I don't know, but for whatever reason I've been thinking about this for about 2 years now and not made any moves. I still am paying on student loans from undergrad, which also factors into my decision. Let's face it - getting an education (especially in law or graduate school) isn't cheap! And I work full time! In order to efficiently complete law school in a reasonable amount of time before I turn 50, I would have to quit my job to go to school full time days and I guess find a job working nights? Okay so maybe I haven't thought that far ahead yet. I can't leave a job where I'm the breadwinner to pick up a job at Target for a couple of years. Can I? Can I leave my job where I have free health insurance? Keep in mind, that I'm not married so I can't just pick up on Skye's insurance because we don't have the same last name - lame! A career is law is also very much a full time commitment. Here I am at 27 hoping to get married soon...and start a family within the next 5 years for sure. Should I set aside that current dream to fulfill my childhood career dream? Classic female dilemma - do you strive for a well rounded family life or career life?? So many unanswered questions!!

What are you thoughts on higher education? Should I take the plunge and go to law school?

No comments: