Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

We Will Always Love You

First off, I had such a great weekend but I feel a little guilty admitting that here. A)- it was great because it was mine and Skye's first weekend off together in about 3 weeks. Sometimes I don't realize how much I miss spending everyday with him until I get to again. B) - I feel guilty admitting that here because I was completely stuck up his ass and unplugged from the internet world. No tweeting, no blogging, no blog reading, not even Facebook. It was nice actually to catch a break because lately I've been quite obsessive with my internet habits.

One piece of news that I was not able to avoid despite being unplugged, was the news of Whitney Houston's death. We were actually on our way out Saturday night to sing karaoke and Skye looked up from his phone and said "Whitney Houston died." I was shocked and upset and I didn't really know how to feel about it. We all know that Whitney has struggled over the past several years in her battle with divorce, drugs and the tabloids. However, last I had heard she was on the up and up and trying to plan for a comeback. Whitney has been an icon for my entire life. I remember listening to her in elementary, middle, high school and beyond. I still want to get up and dance when I hear "I wanna dance with somebody" and I think that song came out the year I was born maybe? She's iconic.



I never know how to feel when mega celebrities like this die. I always feel such mixed emotions, and it doesn't feel real. It's very surreal and strange. I'm sure that everyone is, or soon will be, sick of hearing about her because the media does just totally engulf these situations. But I have found out two things about Whitney that I didn't know. Did you know that her daughter with Bobby Brown is 18 years old? I didn't even realize she was that old now! She's beautiful and I so feel for her during this difficult time.
And the second, did you know that she was dating Ray J? Maybe I've been living under a rock but I had no idea they were together. Apparently it was very well known.
I definitely think this is one of those moments in my life that I will always remember where I was when I heard the news. I have always loved Whitney - her amazingly blessed voice, her beauty, her bold personality. So tonight, I am leaving you with this video - one of my very favorite Whitney songs that I've loved since elementary school. RIP Whitney.

5 comments:

Taylor @ Pink Heels Pink Truck said...

The news of the loss of Whitney Houston was crushing for me. She has always been one of my vocal heros. I wore out my cassette tape dancing to "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" She will truly be a legend missed!

Megan {Splendid Design} said...

When I heard of her passing I couldn't believe it at first. She was such a great talent.

Megan

P.S. I am visiting through SITS.

Cami said...

Sometimes you need time to "unplug" and just hang out. :) What did you guys do? Hope you had fun!!!

So sad about Whitney. I was/am so sad! RIP

<3-Cami from First Day of My Life

Makaila said...

Oh, I love this post. Thank you so much for writing it.. "I Wanna Dance with Somebody", gawd, I just love love love that song.

Mademoiselle Michael Blog said...

I'm like you...mixed feelings. I think the true victim here, is her daughter (I can't believe she's 18 either). She had to watch her mother struggle her whole life, and she has a terrible father who got her Momma mixed up with drugs in the first place. She's basically an orphan at a time when you need your mom the most. Ugh my heart just breaks.

I also hate the various media outlets that forget Whitney was a human being...and one who needed help from those around her! Shame on us for finally paying attention...now that it's too late :(

I remember belting Whitney when I was younger (with a hairbrush of course)! I'm sure she is a step ahead of us in a better place, free of pain.