Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Bathroom Inspiration

We have lived in our house for almost 4 years now. It's not our dream house by any means, but it definitely meets our needs right now. We have done some pretty minor upgrades along the way. We painted the walls before we moved in, re-did the mantel above the fireplace in the living room, and tore up all the carpet in the common room areas (living room, dining room & kitchen) to be replaced with a beautiful Brazilian cherry colored hardwood. None of these tasks were monumental in time, money or effort. Luckily, Skye's dad does flooring for living so we were able to find the color hardwood we wanted at a great price and the install was free! Most of these improvements were done before we even moved in the house, and the floors were about 2 years ago. IT'S BEEN TWO YEARS SINCE I'VE DONE A HOME PROJECT! AH!

The one areas of the house that drives me absolutely insane and that I wish more than anything we'd tackled BEFORE we moved in, is the master bathroom area. Now I mentioned that this isn't our dream house. One of the contributing reasons for that is the layout of the downstairs area. Our bedroom is located just off the living room - HATE THAT, and the living room opens up to a "bathroom area" which really is a half bath with a toilet and sink. There is a door from the half bath that opens up to a larger full size bathroom area with our master shower another sink/vanity area, linen closet and leads into our master walk-in closet. I know this sounds weird, and it's very strange to explain the layout, but I will soon have pictures for you to illustrate. As much as I hate the layout, there's nothing I can do about that. What I can control is the design aspect. The bathroom though is just very plain. We didn't paint it before we moved in so the walls are stark white. I hate white walls! The flooring is a cheap stick-type of linoleum. It's a hideously ugly pattern AND not to mention it doesn't exactly stick anymore so if you are barefoot it's possible that a square of it will come up on your foot. One of my goals for 2012 is to totally re-do this bathroom area. And I prefer sooner rather than later. Four years is a LONG time to get ready everyday in a bathroom you loathe.

Yesterday I began really thinking about the logistics of this project. Here are some ideas floating around in my head - brought to you via Pinterest. (I'm new to the whole Pinterest craze so I'm trying to get into like everyone else...still struggling with that.)
I will soon be putting up pictures of the "before" of what our bathroom currently looks like....but for now just enjoy these idea images.


Love this color scheme - Plus, this master bathroom leads into our master bedroom which is a burnt orange color.

I'm definitely going with wainscoting, I love the look of it. This exact style wouldn't really go in my house, but I like the wall color and white wainscoting. This greyish color wall is a possibility.

I'm really leaning towards blue...robin's egg blue for the walls. I love this look, even though our layout isn't like this. Again, with the wainscoting. I'm obsessed.

Love the color, but this one the wainscoting is blue and the wall is white. I like the yellow accent color too.
That's where I'm at for now..I bought a couple of paint samples yesterday and put them on the walls. They are both blue-ish but darker than robin's egg. I'm not loving them on the walls.
Back to the drawing board!

5 comments:

Cally said...

I LOVE wainscoting. I really, really wish I had a house to redo. I saw the tile sample on the top of the post and immediately wanted to tile something. I spend hours looking at home improvement project tutorials.
So what I'm saying is, I'm really interested to see how this goes for you.
I think the color scheme from the tile is awesome, and if you did most everything in shades of blues with pops of orange I think it would look awesome. And I don't know when you're planning on reselling, but a blue bathroom is a pretty safe bet.

Natalie said...

Pinterest is super awesome for getting ideas! I am in love with that tile!

Ashley said...

Holy cow, I LOVE every single thing about that last bathroom. We're getting ready to start our bathroom overhaul, too.

The Pink Growl said...

Thank you guys! I am so excited about it and I can't wait to start putting all the pieces together. I will definitely be updating you along the way.

FourJedis said...

I love your inspiration ideas. Very pretty!