Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Catching Fire & Mockingjay - Possible Spoiler Alert!

I know that everyone is probably getting sick of hearing about these books and this upcoming movie! So I apologize for my obsession with it, but I just have to add in my thoughts on the 2nd & 3rd books in the series. I started a couple weeks ago reading the first book, and I told you all about how I was instantly obsessed with it. I finished reading Mockingjay the 3rd book from the Hunger Games triology last week. I must say that out of all 3 books, the first one was my favorite. I will try not to spoil anything here – but if you haven’t read Catching Fire and Mockingjay yet then you may not want to keep reading this….

I was a little hesitant to even get on board with this series because it just sounded like something that I would not typically enjoy. I’m not into the sci-fi or futuristic genre and these books have a lot of those elements. However, people just kept telling me about them so I had to give them a chance. I read the first book in maybe 3 days. I couldn’t put it down and I was so excited to jump into Catching Fire to see where the storyline took Katniss and Peeta. However, it all began to get just a little bit far fetched for me. Some of the scenes were a little bit hard for me to create in my imagination. I don’t want to say I didn’t like it because that’s not true. It might be one of those stories that I need to read a second time before I can fully embrace everything. I still really enjoyed the series as a whole, but I did find it a little bit harder to read the 2nd & 3rd books. I was slightly disappointed by the ending too and the way things worked out. I was really hot and heavy on the Peeta storyline. Team Peeta! Even though that ended up playing out okay – it just wasn’t the happiest ending. I did love Katniss’s character and her role as the female hero overcoming all types of adversity.

I am really really excited to see the movie though! I know that the books are usually always better than the movies, but I am interested to see how well they do at creating this unique world. I’m sure we will all be talking about it after next weekend!

What did you think of Catching Fire & Mockingjay? Were you disappointed by the ending or were you satisfied? I may be in the minority here.


5 comments:

poptartyogini said...

I really liked the hunger games trilogy as well. I agree that it was a happy ending but not really. The third book was my least favorite but I think I need to read it again. The first time I read the last Harry potter it wasn't my favorite and now it is. I'm apparently a nerd of epic proportions.

Why Girls Are Weird said...

The reader in me that loves a happy ending was disappointed - I think book lovers are taught to look for happy endings and when those don't happen it's frustrating.

However, the realist in me thinks it was a very realistic ending. Obviously these books have a lot of fictionism to them BUT if something like this did happen then I think the ending is realistic.

I guess all in all I was satisfied.

lil desiqua said...

I think I'm in the minority here- I was on Team Gale! But I agree with the rest of your review- I loved the 1st book and was instantly hooked, second was a bit farfetched, and third just seemed like a repeat story of the first. I guess realistically speaking, the ending fit, but I was disappointed. Overall though, I enjoyed the series.

Can't wait for the movie!

Lindsey said...

I keep hearing the first book is the best one. I need to just start reading them! I'm so out of the loop, ha!

Rachel said...

The first one was definitely my favorite but you do have to read them all to see what all happens! There was a lot of different stuff going on in the second and third books so I agree that it was not as easy to get into.