Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Our Love Story- Part 3

WAIT! Did you read Part 1 & Part 2?
You better so you get the full story!

So recap from Parts 1&2 of Our Love Story – girl meets boy, girl really likes boy and the feeling is mutual, girl reluctantly decides maybe the timing isn’t right and doesn’t see boy for 10 months, girl reunites with boy a year after their first meeting and feelings still exist. No moves are made after reunion. Girl is confused!
After the night of the Christmas party when I saw Skye again, I sat in my room and just felt puzzled by our situation. I knew I liked him and it really seemed like he liked me – at times even more than I liked him. Maybe I'm not accurately portraying the situation here, and I hate to brag, but the boy was really into me! Obviously the Christmas party was not the right time or place to have an in-depth conversation about our relationship. During my over analyzing, out of no where, my phone goes off with a text message. (It was like a movie, I swear!) It was him and he said something along the lines of “it was really good to see you tonight.”  After much thought, probably too much thought, I decided to say the hell with all my worries. Who cares if he was my boss’s son? Who cares that he was younger than me? If I like this boy this much, then I have to allow it to play out. I didn't feel like I would be able to forgive myself if I didn't give it another try. And that’s exactly what I did. I sent him a text back and we never stopped talking. We became as inseparable as you can be living 45 minutes away from each other. We would only see each other twice a week but those days were filled with the exhilaration that a new romance brings. You all know what I mean by that, all the butterflies and sweet kisses and everything that comes with falling in love.
Fast Forward 6 months from December -
I left to go on a cruise in June. I was gone for 1 week. I distinctly remember one phone conversation we had while I was gone. He said he’d bought me a present, and he wanted to show me how much I meant to him. I was excited, but didn’t give it much thought.
About a month after I was home from the cruise, he had arranged a special date for us. This was nothing unusual at this point in our relationship. He liked to spoil me on the regular. We decided to meet at the restaurant, since we still lived 45 minutes away from each other. He picked the same Italian restaurant we originally met at a year and a half ago. I walked in and was led to a table adorned with 2 dozen roses. Upon further inspection, I realized there was a little heart shaped ceramic box sitting within the flowers. Slowly, I began to freak out. I thought that Skye had lost his mind and he was going to propose to me or something! I mean I probably loved him at this point, but neither of us were even 21 so there was no way I was going to get married. I was right on one count – there was a beautiful 3 stone diamond ring hidden in the box, but I was not getting proposed to. Basically, this was a promise ring. A gorgeous reminder that I could wear to know I was truly loved.

gorgeous little box my promise ring was in

The rest is history! I still have the promise ring, and I wear it everyday on my ring finger. It’s often mistaken for an engagement ring and rightfully so. Promise ring might sound dinky to you, maybe it makes you think of a no sex before marriage ring. To me, it was more like a pre-engagement ring. That that was the purpose it served for about 7 years.

We’ve survived a lot in the past 8 years of knowing each other – weddings, funerals, 3 dogs, 2 homes, 3 cars, an apartment fire, a shooting, the death of a fur baby, new jobs – and so many other good times. I can honestly say that he’s my better half. We’ve managed to beat the “7 year itch”, but I still get lots of jokes about common law marriage. J

This 3 Part Series has been a really fun walk down memory lane to remember how it all got started. It’s always good to remember where you came from. I hope you enjoyed this abbreviated version of Our Love Story! UPDATE: As you all know, we are recently engaged so that only means one thing UP NEXT....THE PROPOSAL STORY!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear the proposal....Ive loved reading your story, Aren't love stories the best?!

Adrienne said...

Aww! I just went through the whole story and loved it! You told it so well, and I am so happy it has a happy ending :-D Congrats on the engagement!

Cally said...

Uh, if that's how he gave you a promise ring, I can't wait to hear the proposal story!!

Kasey said...

excited to hear your proposal story :D :D :D :D

Sarah said...

Part 3 does not disappoint! Great story!

cathryn said...

Such a cute story! I found your blog through Raising Miss Mommy! And your pup is absolutely adorable! Follow me too if you want www.nuefvies.blogspot.com :)

Ashleigh said...

I agree it is always nice to remember where you came from & how you got to where you are now! I loved this little story & I know that I have officially blown up your email sadly but at least it sweet thoughts so that makes it better right! I am glad you both have made it that many years together & too see that true love does exist when you allow it to play out!