Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Listable Life - 5 Reasons I Can't Stop Watching the Real Housewives

Who loves my new blog design??? OOOH me me me! Thanks to the fabulous Tori from EyeCandy, The Pink Growl now brings you a much more sleek and professional look.

”eye
Watch out - I'm moving on up in this bloggy world! Just kidding... Tori and I are going to be pairing up REAL soon for a sweet treat to offer my readers. You won't want to miss it!


The topic this week for the MTDL Listable Life is 5 reasons you can't stop watching ____ show. Well if you have been a reader here for any amount of time then you must know by now that I have an unhealthy obsession with the Real Housewives show on Bravo. Pick a season, pick a city - I love them all.

Here are some of the reasons these ladies are on my DVR at all times:
1.    They teach me that it’s okay to let your redneck show sometimes. I’m a true Southern girl, so I truly cannot always hide the fact that I have a smidge of redneck in my blood. I have accepted this fact and I’m even okay with it. That being said, I love it when I see one of the housewives go total ape shit! Like when Teresa from New Jersey flipped the table…y’all know you loved that! I guess Italian tempers are similar to the redneck form of showing your ass. Or when Tamra from Orange Country threw her wine right in Jeana’s face on the finale last year, I mean right in her eyeball. Or even when Sheree from Atlanta got into the fight with Kim and pulled on her wig? Whew girl, that’s just asking for it!
Teresa's table flip incident

Wine right in the peepers
2. They take stereotypes to the extreme. I know a thing or two about stereotypes myself – I bet you think I’m sitting here typing this right now barefoot with my teeth rotting out of my head! I hope you know it’s not true that all southern people are like this. When image pops into your head when you think southern California girls – do you think blonde hair, big boobs? What about New Jersey – Italians, strong Jersey accents, big hair? New York – fancy people who flee to the Hamptons? Beverly Hills – insanely rich, little lap dogs? The Real Housewives definitely takes these stereotypes that society has and gives us exactly what we expect to see. Now there might be one cast mate on each season who breaks that mold, but for the most part, they fit the bill. I am obviously one of the guilty ones who loves to indulge in watching these play out –usually exactly how I imagined they would!

3.    They teach us the value of the American Dream. Did you always have dreams of being a famous singer or writer, but just never got around to pursuing that dream? Well it’s your lucky day! The ladies on the Real Housewives absolutely teach us how to be crafty businesswomen. They have taken their 15 minutes of fame and they want more. Some of them singers, actors, writers with book deals, etc. I’m not trying to hate on them because I love their work – I’ve heard nothing but great things about Kyle from Beverly Hills’s book, I have Tardy for the Party on my freaking iPod, I don’t watch Glee and I tuned in to see Nene and I bought some Gretchen Christine Beaute make up. But you have to admit, that these girls know how to squeeze the hell out of their celebrity status. I actually think we could learn a thing or two from them about working it.

4.    They show us that bigger is better. Bigger boobs, bigger hair, bigger bank accounts, bigger heels & diamonds. Bigger = Better. Period.

5.    They are fun to watch! Okay I might have been poking a little fun at them in #1-4, but in all seriousness I love these gals. They crack me up on a regular basis, and they definitely keep me coming back for more. Sometimes they lose their tempers, or drink too much, or say inappropriate things – but haven’t we all done that before? So I say, don’t judge them just watch them and enjoy the drama brought to you by Bravo!

So tell me, do you indulge yourself in the world of the Real Housewives?

Photobucket

17 comments:

Dee {Strings and Buttons} said...

ha ha ha yeah I must admit I used to watch a little but of it myself. I'm currently hooked on Pretty Little Liars and The Good Wife. BTW, LOVING your new blog look. Super sweet! Congrats! x

KTB Reynolds said...

LOVE the new blog!!!!! It looks fantastic!!! Real House Wives. one of my many guilty tv pleasures that drives my husband up the wall. I like nights when he plays hockey. It means I get to catch up on my DVR. Atlanta got to be a lil too much for me, but i LOVE all the rest!!!!

CALLIE said...

O girl!! I tend to let my redneck side come out every now and then too ha!! This made my day.

amy b.s. said...

love the blog design. and i've never gotten into the real housewives, but i can definitely see the appeal.

Tori Baldridge said...

So glad you love the design!! I'll email you your "sponsors" button ASAP!

Taylor @ Pink Heels Pink Truck said...

I love the RHOBH edition. Totally hooked! I used to watch the RHOOC but I didn't start from the beginning (as I did with Beverly Hills) so it was a bit confusing. I should probably start from the beginning so I can watch it when the Beverly Hills gang is off season. ;) I'm super bummed that Camille will not be returning to the show. I really liked her. I follow her on twitter and she's getting involved in some new ventures (some are cool, some look gimmiky to me). :)

Girls Love Fried Pickles said...

New Jersey baby my fav and comes back with a bang on Sunday! I am there and I am going to watch Don't Be Tardy for the Wedding.

Makaila said...

heck yes! I've never completely followed an entire season, but I loove tuning in and watching their catty madness. My mom had her picture taken with Vickie from the OC housewives at a fashion show in Palm Springs just a few months ago!

Courtney M said...

You know I just HAD to read this after our live discussion of RHOC last night! I'm a jersey girl now and definitely DO NOT fit the stereotype but I still love watching those jersey ladies! And yes- a lil jersey comes out in me from time to time.I mean who doesn't love animal print accessories? haha

A "cheery" disposition said...

haha, love these shows.. it's like addiction! It's the only "reality" t.v. I watch!

Nikki said...

I LOVE RHONJ!

New Follower!

Sarah @ Simply Sarah said...

Yes!! Thank you for posting this! I 100% agree, I have actually learned a lot of real important life lessons from the Real Housewives. And I totally agree about Teresa flipping that table! Sometimes I have to get redneck too. Love your blog!

Unknown said...

Teresa's table flip incident was epic! I think I watched a marathon that day and saw probably 12 episodes in a row. Trashy tv is addicting!

Sherry said...

Totally agree with you. I get completely sucked in. It's crazy! LOL!

Nicole @MTDLBlog said...

I'm such a sucker for the Real Housewives. I have stayed committed to Orange County and New York. The others I go in and out. :-) I love that you said they show that it's ok to "let your redneck show" too funny!

Nicole @MTDLBlog said...

PS: Love the new design!

Sweet Carolina Grace said...

I totally agree with #1! And please don't think I ignore your posts - I have been so computer lazy for a month, now! I'm trying to be better! :)